Monday, February 11, 2013

Sense of Utility With Respect to Time

What are accomplishments if not evaluated w.r.t. time?
Today I'd like to point out a few things regarding the subjective utility of our accomplishments. I have recognized a long time ago that there are, in our society, a few people who seem to be naturally inclined to certain feats of tasks. And while I have long accepted that I am not one such people, I do notice that there are a few things that I do excel in. When I reflect on these experiences, I find that those things I derive the most satisfaction and learning from are the same things that I have initially failed at.

Indeed, it is true when people say that the journey is more important than the destination. Since our lives are often perceived as a linear representation of time, it would make a lot of sense to value the utility of our accomplishments with respect to time rather than as a scalar quantity in and of itself. Put another way, life is a lot more enjoyable if we focus not on the value of our accomplishments, but the first-order derivative of it (the increase in its value).

In other words, where you are going is more important than where you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hyper Smash