Tuesday, February 5, 2013

The Case For Drugs

Is there an objective right or wrong?
As kids, we've long been told that drugs are bad, and there have always been the distinction of good drugs (from doctors) and bad drugs (from dealers). As a child, I followed society's classification because I felt that these adults probably knew better than I did. However, having read countless scientific papers, I now realize that I possess the same tools to evaluate the evidence as the adults who passed the laws did.

One key aspect of the nature of substances is that there is no such thing as good or bad; it is rather a simple subjective declaration. Thus, what is considered good or bad in society is simply the subjective declaration of those who wield the power of law. What we must do in our lives, is not to simply say yes or no because our government has told us so. As individuals lucky enough to partake in a university education, I believe that we should take the time to evaluate the academic literature and make up our own decisions along with our subjective knowledge of our physical selves before saying yes or no to any drug (be it coffee from Starbucks or antibiotics from the pharmacist).

I'd like to mention that not everyone may not be fully adept at reading scientific journals and conducting literature review. If that is the case, then yes, we should consult the experts of our society. But don't stop there. If you don't have the ability to read scientific journals, learn. Learning is the real theme of this blog, and  my alma mater has a brief guide on how to learn this particular skill. Later on, I'll be providing a blog post dedicated to teaching this skill.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hyper Smash