Friday, January 18, 2013

Dealing With Difficult People: Repeat & Label

Angry people are hard to deal with.

The following is a post by someone else (artsci10, not me) from LawStudents.ca that talks about dealing with difficult people:

I deal with adult temper tantrums the same way I deal with children's temper tantrums - a system called repeat and label.

It follows like this:
Angry man in the grocery store: This line isn't moving at all because that fucking cashier doesn't know the prices!!
Me (repeating): She doesn't know the prices?
Angry man: She doesn't.
Me (labeling): That's frustrating.

OR

Cyclist whose just been cut off: That driver almost ran me over!! I'm going to go key his car!
Me (repeating): He almost ran you over?
Cyclist: Ya, just now.
Me (labeling): Drivers need to be more careful.

Works every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hyper Smash